Ivette Torres, staff director of National Recovery Month at the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), will be the featured speaker Tuesday, June 18, on a conference call hosted by the United Methodist General Board of Church & Society. Purpose of the call is to focus on preparations for National Recovery Month, which is September.
The call, coordinated by GBCS’s work area on Alcohol, Other Addictions & Health Care, will address how you can use this event to promote an awareness of addiction and recovery issues for your congregation.
Torres oversees the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment team responsible for generating and disseminating mental and substance use disorder treatment information to SAMHSA's mission-related constituents. She develops national communication strategies and campaigns including the observance of the National Recovery Month each September.
Other topics to be addressed include the following:
- What is National Recovery Month and how have congregations been successfully involved in the past?
- How can Health Care Justice Sabbaths play a part in informing congregation members about this and related issues?
In addition, members of GBCS Addictions Advocacy Organizing teams will have an opportunity to share about their work. You can read up ahead of time about National Recovery Month at recoverymonth.gov. The conference call will be Tuesday, June 18, at 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time (11:30 a.m. Central, 10:30 a.m. Mountain, 9:30 a.m. Pacific). RSVP Now Call Information Call-in Number is (866) 494-2397; Pass Code is 2024885636.
RSVP is requested to help with planning for the call.
The schedule of upcoming conference calls related to addictions issues is as follows:
- July 19 — How Mental Health and Addictions are Affected by the Affordable Care Act.
- Aug. 15 — Getting Local Churches on Board with Organizing & Issues
- Sept. 17 — Mental Illness Awareness Week: How Mental Health Intersects with Addictions (National Recovery Month Reminder)
- Oct. 15 — Prescription Drugs and Addictions
- Nov. 19 — Tobacco
- Dec. 17 — Showcasing our Grant Achievements
For more information about the call or addictions organizing teams, contact the Rev. Cynthia Abrams, GBCS director, Alcohol, Other Addictions & Health Care.