TAMPA, Fla. — Lake Magdalene United Methodist Church will present a free faith-based “Addiction Prevention Conference” providing strategies for youth empowerment. The one-day conference will be Friday, Sept. 27, at Carrollwood Country Club here from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Communities of faith are called to empower their youths with appropriate education and prevention strategies.
Communities of faith are called to empower their youths with appropriate education and prevention strategies that will lead them toward high standards of personal discipline, social and spiritual responsibility. The conference will focus on youth prevention of alcohol and drug addiction, and the adverse effect addiction has on families and community.
The conference content is ideal for parents, youth pastors, faith leaders, athletic directors, directors of children’s programs, and those who work or volunteer with youths.
Invited speakers include the following:
- Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi;
- George Wood, founder and director of the Timothy Initiative, a faith-based community of men in recovery from addiction;
- Harold Shinitzky, Psy. D., a licensed psychologist specializing in addiction, sports and child psychology, and youth prevention initiatives.
- Amy Ronshausen, director of Congressional & Legislative Affairs, Save our Society from Drugs (SOS)
- Honorable Jack Espinosa Jr., Drug Court and Unified Family Court Judge, 13th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- the Rev. Mark Reynolds, pastor at Shepherd’s Community United Methodist Church in Lakeland, who teaches Ethics in the Religion & Philosophy Dept. at Florida Southern College.
Register online at the Lake Magdalene UMC website: Addiction Prevention Conference. From the home page, click the Addiction Prevention icon. Deadline for registration is Sept.r 23.
This faith-based Addiction Prevention Conference is possible through funding by The General Board of Church & Society of The United Methodist Church, support of the Hillsborough County Anti-Drug Alliance, and other community sponsors.