The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) is one of four international general program boards of The United Methodist Church. The General Board has headquarters on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. and at the Church Center for the United Nations in New York City. The General Secretary of the Board is Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe.
The General Board is defined by its five areas of ministry: (1) Public Witness and Advocacy (2) Administration (3) Ministry of Resourcing Congregational Life, (4)United Nations Ministry, (5) Communications.
...The message of salvation brought by Jesus Christ binds us together as a people and sends us forth to bring healing in the midst of strife, justice in the midst of brokenness, and love in the midst of hate. As United Methodists, we are called to invite people to enter into a community of faith responsive to a vision of justice ministries that is biblically and theologically grounded, and to invite United Methodist congregations to play a prophetic role in bringing God’s vision to reality. Our mission is to advocate the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the church and society.
2016-2020 Board of Directors Executive Committee
- President – Bishop Sally Dyck
- Vice President – Dr. Randall Miller
- Secretary – Rev. Dr. Sharon Austin
- Personnel Chair – Rev. Dr. Kathy Kind
- Finance Chair – Mr. Lonnie Chafin
- Trustees Chair – Mr.Raul Alegria
- Advocating Work Area – Rev. Lisa Garvin
- Educating Work Area – Ms. Cindy Johnson
- Connecting Work Area – Ms. Dorlimar Lebron Malave
- At-large Members – Ms. Nancy Caluya Nicolas, Rev. Margaret Johnson, Ms. Chelsea Calderon, Rev. Rich Jones